Thursday, July 30, 2009

If you were a fragrance...


If my sunday school teacher is reading this...."thanks" for your notes for today's thought provoking post! You are the best! XOXO

If you were a fragrance...what would it be called?

Helpful?
Worrier?
Kindness?
Doom and Gloom?
Worshiper?
Optimist?

Think about it. If you can't think of a fragrance that you would leave in people's minds...just ask a friend. I was shocked when my friend said my fragrance was "Encourager." Yes, I cried. I guess I never thought of myself that way or didn't really acknowledge that of myself because I thought it would be prideful. But was very honored and humbled to know that some one else thought that of me. My sister looked at my friend and without ANY hesitation said her fragrance would be, "JOY." My friends face just lit up. It was so true too. She is always happy and smiling.

Jesus was a fragrance poured out. Solomon says in the book of Song of Songs 1:3 ...

Pleasing is the fragrance of your perfumes;
your name is like perfume poured out.
No wonder the maidens love you!

Don't you want people to love your fragrance? That when you leave a room you leave a sweet scent behind? Or even when you leave Walmart! Our scent should always be pleasing no matter where we are. I will have to work on that one! LOL...

Did you know....
*Cosmetic companies make BIG money trying to convince us that they have the love potion that will attract the perfect lover.
*All our senses have a filtered pathway to the brain. But scent goes directly to the spot that automatically triggers all of the other senses, especially memory.
*It is not uncommon for people who are grieving to hold their loved one's clothes and breath deeply, trying to capture their unique smell before it disappears. Abraham smelled of Isaac's clothes-of course he was tricked by Esau (who also realized the power of the smell.)
*Did you know it takes 1 ton of rose petals to make an ounce of perfume? Who knew!
*Many eastern traditions emphasize aroma as part of the healing process--think aroma therapy???

Interesting, huh?

Surely it is the accumulation of deeds and conversations and actions and memories of a person that turn into the fragrance they leave behind.

2Cor. 2:15 says...Because of Christ, we give off a sweet scent rising to God, which is recognized by those on the way of salvation--an aroma redolent with life.

So how do we give off a fragrance? An afterglow that lingers long after we're gone?

If your friends were to name you as a personal fragrance, what would it be?



17 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

Wow, that's amazing! And what an encouragement to be told by your friends!!! Great post! Enjoy your day!

southerninspiration said...

Aww, what a nice post to find today! I agree that you are an encourager! I do want to be known as a "fragrance" to God, a sweet smelling aroma to HIM!!

Suzanne

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Such a interesting post! Wow... a ton of rose petals to make an ounce of perfume!
Thanks for posting!

BECKY said...

I love the whole notion of our lives giving off a fragrance!! May we all be a pleasing aroma to Christ! You are sweetie!! :o)

Love and hugs,
Becky

Anonymous said...

Now you have me thinking..... I would hope it would have "grace..forgiveness..and thankful..oh and blessed~ smiles~

lori vliegen said...

great post! i love the 2Cor. Scripture that you highlighted..... any fragrance we wear in the Lord's name is always going to be the sweetest one! thanks for sharing this...have a great weekend! :)

Joy said...

A most excellent post, my dear. Very thought provoking. I don't know what others would say about me, but I totally understand what you are saying... especially when you think about the ones that leave behind a stink!! People that are like an old, wet rug! Eewwww... they put a damper on everything and just bring ya down! Don't wanna hang around those types! Gotta leave that sweet fragrance of God behind! I shall keep this in mind.

Joy said...

Oh, that picture at the top of this post--the girl and the flowers... I'm wondering if I can take it and put it on the side of my blog, I like how fresh and free it looks. Just let me know. Hey, I'll even say it's from you!

Karen said...

I LOVE your post today. Just lovely. You ARE and encourager!

Barb said...

What a wonderful post and compliment from your friend and how others see you.You always seem to encourage me also blessings....Barb

AnjuGandhi said...

today seems to be my lucky day. while hopping and jumping on various blogs i have landed on quite a few of lovely blogs and i have got hooked to your blog. such a shiny blog and fragrant blog
and reading your post made me wonder in which category of fragrance will my frnds, my family members put me?

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Thanks for that sweet comment. Hope your day is wonderful~

cathleen said...

What a beautiful post. Now...it makes me really think about what 'fragrance' I am. Thank you for the thought-provoking post.

blushing rose said...

What a wonderful, warm, thought provoking post ... I guess Opium won't work ... chuckle! TTFN ~Marydon

Snippety Gibbet said...

How did I not know you were a reading teacher?????????

That's an interesting concept about naming you as a fragrance. I'll have to contemplate that one a bit. Hmmm...

Sue said...

This is such an amazing post today, I am now wondering what fragrance I would be. I agree with your friend of your fragrance being encourager, as I have read some of your previous post!
I have found bloggers here in blogland that seem to visit people and just always offer so much encouragement, and I have found you to be one of these encouragers.
I also would like to encourage you in posting more , I enjoy your writings and your thoughts are very inspiring.
Blessings,
Sue

Jess said...

Wow, such a great reminder of how the Fragrance of Christ wafts through each believer giving off a wonderful scent that reflects some aspect of HIS character!

As many have commented, you ARE one of His encouragers!

Sorry it was so difficult to leave a comment on my blog. I wish I knew the answer.

I'd appreciate your prayers as I just lost a very precious friend and mentor. Though she lived on the opposite side of the country, I miss her "fragrance" already.

HUGS.